Who are NAHB’s Builder Members?

Every year the National Association of Home Builders conducts a member census in order to better understand the composition and characteristics of the people who belong to its organization.

In 2017, 32 percent of NAHB’s members were builders—those directly involved in home building. The remaining 68 percent were associate members—those involved in supportive industries and professions, such as trade contractors, manufacturers, retailers/distributors, designers, and architects.

Sixty-two percent of builder members are single-family builders (spec/tract, custom, or general contracting), 21 percent are residential remodelers, 6 percent are commercial builders, 5 percent each are multifamily builders and land developers, and 1 percent are commercial remodelers. Less than 0.5 percent of builder members are manufacturers of modular/panelized log homes.

The study found that the average age of its builder members is 57. Click here for additional information.