Earn 16 Hours of CE Credits
February 2021 Virtual Continuing Education
Structural Plan Review IRC (8 CEU)
Feb. 3, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
The objective for this class is to enable participants to perform a structural plan review for residential buildings using the prescriptive provisions of the International Residential Code.
- IRC Basics, Roof Construction, Wall Construction, Floor Construction, Decks, Structural Analysis by Hand, Non-prescriptive Beams & Columns, Foundations
Residential Deck Design & Construction (4 CEU)
Feb. 4, 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Plan reviewers, field inspectors, permit techs, and contractors attending this course will receive a wide spectrum of information needed to determine minimum requirements for deck construction. Participants will have the opportunity to review new and old code sections, as well as partake in practical application scenarios. This course will be of interest to architects, design professionals, contractors, code enforcers and plan reviewers. Content covered in this course includes, but is not limited to:
- Basic questions to ask with the deck application
- The mechanics of wood used in deck construction
- How to size joists, beams, posts, and concrete piers
- Proper specification and use of fasteners
- Reviewing construction documents and plot plans for permitting process
Exterior Wall Systems (4 CEU)
Feb. 4, 12:30 p.m.– 5:00 p.m.
Water intrusion through exterior walls may be the largest problem in residential construction today. This course will discusses the IRC requirements for exterior walls of chapters 3, 6 and 7. General installation requirements of products will be discussed, including:
- Weather resistance barriers, flashing, vinyl/wood/hardboard siding, masonry and culture veneers, stucco and EFIS systems
– KCHBA Members: $35/credit hour
– Non-members: $55/credit hour
– Classes will be held in real time over Zoom
– Classes taught by Russell Thornburg, Thornburg Code Services
– Participants must be present the entire length of the class to earn credit
– Classes offer credit for the following licenses: A, B, C, DW
– Classes have been approved by Johnson County Contractor Licensing
For questions and/or to register contact Paige@kchba.org